Tuesday, January 1, 2013

spicy black eyed pea fritters


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

i hope y'all had a great night last night ringing in 2013! i can't believe how quickly 2012 came and went. a lot happened - miles and i got married(!), i finally made a bundt cake without destroying the cake and my self-esteem, and i started this little blog! i'm so excited to see what 2013 has in store...

it's a southern tradition to have black eyed peas on new years day. why? well, like most superstitions, there are a million answers to that. but my reason - they taste good! and fried up with jalapeños and cheese? well, you know me. :)

spicy black eyed pea fritters
makes about 6 fritters

you'll need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg
1 can black eyed peas, drained, rinsed, and mashed with a fork
1 jalapeño, diced
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.

in the bottom of a large mixing bowl, lightly beat your egg with a fork. add black eyed peas, jalapeño, cheese, salt, pepper, and flour and stir until well-mixed.

with a large spoon, scoop mixture and drop into the hot skillet (i fit 3 at a time into my skillet). flatten the mounds slightly with the spoon and cook 2-3 minutes. flip fritters and cook another 1-2 minutes. transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil and cook the rest of the fritters the same way.

serve these with a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream on top, and enjoy!

wishing you all lots of love, fun, and yummy-ness for the coming year. here's to 2013!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I have never made black eyed peas. I may have to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't eat them often, but every time I make them I wonder why! Let me know if you give these a try! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a tradition I could adopt (I live in the south too... of Australia). These look delicious and with the addition of jalapenos and cheese, well, you've won me. And Happy New Year, hope it's one full of lots more great food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally bring this tradition to your south. :) Happy New Year!! Finding your blog in 2012 was such a treat - looking forward to seeing all you do in 2013!

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...